Old Pulteney Single Malt Scotch Whisky, known as The Maritime Malt, has released the third and final expression of an acclaimed series of single malts related to extraordinary boats from Wick. The inspiration for the last instalment came from WK217 ‘Spectrum’. She was built in 1920 and went down in local history as one of the first Wick drifters to use a pioneering method of fishing called Anchor Seine Netting. She was also used during World War II for harbour service duties.
Old Pulteney WK217 ‘Spectrum’ was distilled and matured at Pulteney, the most northerly distillery on Scottish mainland. American and Spanish oak ex-sherry butts of exceptional quality were used in the ageing process. The whisky has not been chill-filtered or artificially coloured. Old Pulteney WK217 has a premium strength of 46% ABV and is available in 1 litre bottles.
Old Pulteney WK217 ‘Spectrum’ follows the very successful WK499 ‘Isabella Fortuna’ and WK209 ‘Good Hope’. It is already on sale exclusively at World of Whiskies and World Duty Free at major airports around the UK. It will eventually become available across travel retail outlets throughout Europe and Middle East. Recommended retail price in the UK is £39.99.
· Old Pulteney’s core range includes Old Pulteney 12 Year Old, Old Pulteney 17 Year Old and Old Pulteney 21 Year Old. Old Pulteney 30 Year Old is also available
· Old Pulteney 21 Year Old was named by Jim Murray as the World Whisky of the Year 2012 in the latest edition of his popular Whisky Bible
· Pulteney Distillery was established by James Henderson in 1826, at the peak of the celebrated herring fishing boom
· Pulteney remains the most northerly whisky distillery on the Scottish mainland
· The distillery uses one pair of stills, the wash still featuring a very large boil bulb, and condenses spirit with the use of traditional worm tubs